Re: Using -spice command

From: Bob Weber
Subject: Re: Using -spice command
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 07:56:38 -0500

On 2/25/24 06:57, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 at 22:02, Serdar Bahar <serdarbahar44@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm trying to enable Spice in my virtual machine. In order to do that, I've found that I should append my booting command line with an option like this : "-spice port=3001...". However, when I try this, I get the error: "qemu-system-x86_64: -spice: invalid option". I'm using an Apple Silicon macOS. How can I solve this problem? I can see that -spice is included in user documentation of QEMU and I'm sure that I'm using the correct version (8.2.1).
Check whether running
 qemu-system-x86_64 -spice help
produces a list of "spice options" describing the sub-options.

If it does, then there's some problem with the specific option string
you're using (and you should tell us what your whole command line is).

If it doesn't produce anything, then your QEMU binary was built without
SPICE support, and you'll need to rebuild it from source.

When you run configure, by default QEMU will build optional
features like SPICE if it can find the libraries it needs for them,
and if it can't find the libraries it won't build the optional feature.
You can pass configure the "--enable-spice" option which will force
configure to fail if it can't find the libraries it needs. Then
you'll need to make sure you have those libraries available, and
once you do QEMU will build with SPICE support enabled.

thanks
-- PMM

Make sure you have the following package.  It made spice work for me after Redhat dropped spice.  I also use the gui Virtual Machine Manager/libvirt which makes things easier to run qemu/kvm.

qemu-system-modules-spice