Re: [Qemu-discuss] virtio device instances identification by guest

From: Artem Pisarenko
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] virtio device instances identification by guest
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:19:37 +0600

> I'm not sure I understand the requirements.

No requirements. That was just a question and some notes about cons of
solutions I found (compared to an ideal way it implemented for specific
virtio devices I listed above).

>>     Forgot to clarify that identification needs to be unique only to
machine
>>     scope. 'virtio-net-pci' has 'mac' property, but if user wants to
>>     instantiate multiple such machines and connect them in one network,
then
>>     'mac' value also needs to be unique per this network. Thus, user
have to
>>     generate 'mac' from some <network host id> and <NIC id> parts and
guest
>>     should find network interface by mac address masked with <NIC id>
part.

> You need to create unique MACs anyway. If you don't it isn't guaranteed
networking
> will work.

Not always. It depends on network backend and use case. I've just meant,
that NIC identification by guest and MAC uniqueness are completely separate
issues, and mixing them in one single value of configuration decreases
flexibility of QEMU usage.

> If you are after arbitrary strings, one way would be to add support
> to vpd capability to devices... Want to try coding it up?

If I wouldn't found solutions above I would have to try, but now it seems
to be an overkill (even if it doesn't involves most scare part -
modification of linux guest driver).
Maybe in some future. But now I'm happy with solutions above, and most
users, who searched and found them here, probably, too.