Re: [Qemu-discuss] Is it possible to write to a QEMU CDROM device?

From: Steve Ross
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Is it possible to write to a QEMU CDROM device?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:51:45 -0500

Hi Pavel,

Sorry for my late response (I was out for a couple of days.)  Thanks
very much for your suggestion; I have couple of questions.

Is your suggestion to simply verify that the CD-ROM hardware device on
my host machine can both read from and write to CDs?  (I know that it
can write because I've used it previously to successfully burn a CD from
the host desktop.)

Second, what command-line should I use to start the VM directly from the
command line using "qemu"?  (I may need a tutorial.)  I tried the
following approach (among others) but was unsuccessful.

When the "virt-manager" executes the command line, I see that the
process is owned by "qemu".  So, I tried the following command as "root"
on my host machine in an attempt to run as the "qemu" user.  I copied
everything between the single-quote marks, below, from the output of the
"ps -ef" command from the successfully running "qemu--system-x86_64"
process as started by the "virt-manager".  The only difference is that I
removed the ",readonly=on" text from the command line, as you suggested.

    # su -s /bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64  \
        ...<very long set of options without "readonly">...' qemu

The result of executing the above command was errors like:

    2015-03-25T18:00:51.823548Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive
file=/data/images/dc-rhel6.img,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=qcow2:
could not open disk image /data/images/dc-rhel6.img: Could not open
'/data/images/dc-rhel6.img': Permission denied

and no virtual machine running.

Thank you,
-- Steve