qemu-devel

Re: Adopting abandoned patch?

From: Dinah B
Subject: Re: Adopting abandoned patch?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:34:12 -0500

It looks like the author didn't include a "Signed off" in their patch draft and it doesn't look like Debian qemu-kvm maintainers ever merged it.
Does this change the patch adoption process?

Thanks,
-Dinah

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 4:23 PM Dinah B <dinahbaum123@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, here's the original patch: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?att=2;bug=621529;filename=multiboot2.patch;msg=15

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 4:59 AM Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> wrote:

Dinah B <dinahbaum123@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to get more involved in contributing to QEMU. I noticed that there are some issues in the tracker
> where a sample patch has been contributed but never got merged, like a proposal to add multiboot2 support:
> https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/389

I couldn't see a patch attached to the bug report. Is it elsewhere?

> Is another dev allowed to "adopt" the patch as-is, with proper attribution to the original dev and drive it to
> completion/merging (there are some features missing)? Or is "starting from scratch" required for legal
> reasons?

It's certainly possible to pick up a patch from someone else and take it
forward. Aside from addressing any review comments I think the minimum
requirement is the authors original Signed-off-by is intact which
asserts they could contribute code to the project.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro