qemu-devel

Re: vhost-user (virtio-fs) migration: back end state

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: vhost-user (virtio-fs) migration: back end state
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 09:32:05 -0500

On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 at 07:29, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2023 at 04:08, Hanna Czenczek <hreitz@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 06.02.23 17:27, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > > On Mon, 6 Feb 2023 at 07:36, Hanna Czenczek <hreitz@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Should we schedule a call with Jason, Michael, Juan, David, etc to
> > > discuss further? That way there's less chance of spending weeks
> > > working on something only to be asked to change the approach later.
> >
> > Sure, sounds good!  I’ve taken a look into what state we’ll need to
> > migrate already, but I’ll take a more detailed look now so that it’s
> > clear what our requirements are.

Hi Hanna,
The next step is getting agreement on how the vhost-user device state
interface will work. Do you want to draft the new vhost-user protocol
messages and put together slides for discussion with Michael, Jason,
Juan, and David in the next KVM call? That might be the best way to
get agreement. Doing it via email is possible too but I guess it will
take longer.

If you don't want to design the vhost-user protocol changes yourself
then someone on this email thread can help with that.

Stefan