qemu-devel

vhost-user (virtio-fs) migration: back end state

From: Hanna Czenczek
Subject: vhost-user (virtio-fs) migration: back end state
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 13:35:33 +0100

Hi Stefan,

For true virtio-fs migration, we need to migrate the daemon’s (back end’s) state somehow.  I’m addressing you because you had a talk on this topic at KVM Forum 2021. :)

As far as I understood your talk, the only standardized way to migrate a vhost-user back end’s state is via dbus-vmstate.  I believe that interface is unsuitable for our use case, because we will need to migrate more than 1 MB of state.  Now, that 1 MB limit has supposedly been chosen arbitrarily, but the introducing commit’s message says that it’s based on the idea that the data must be supplied basically immediately anyway (due to both dbus and qemu migration requirements), and I don’t think we can meet that requirement.

Has there been progress on the topic of standardizing a vhost-user back end state migration channel besides dbus-vmstate?  I’ve looked around but didn’t find anything.  If there isn’t anything yet, is there still interest in the topic?

Of course, we could use a channel that completely bypasses qemu, but I think we’d like to avoid that if possible.  First, this would require adding functionality to virtiofsd to configure this channel.  Second, not storing the state in the central VM state means that migrating to file doesn’t work (well, we could migrate to a dedicated state file, but...).  Third, setting up such a channel after virtiofsd has sandboxed itself is hard.  I guess we should set up the migration channel before sandboxing, which constrains runtime configuration (basically this would only allow us to set up a listening server, I believe).  Well, and finally, it isn’t a standard way, which won’t be great if we’re planning to add a standard way anyway.

Thanks!

Hanna