qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/10] For 6.0 patches

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/10] For 6.0 patches
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 20:30:08 +0400

Hi

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 7:56 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 15:17, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 5:54 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> This produces a backtrace from sphinx-build which nonetheless doesn't
>> cause a build failure:
>>

>> Program sphinx-build found: YES
>> ../docs/meson.build:30: WARNING: /usr/bin/sphinx-build:
>> Configuration error:
>> There is a programable error in your configuration file:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "conf.py", line 154, in <module>
>>     import sphinx_rtd_theme
>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sphinx_rtd_theme'
>>
>> During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sphinx/config.py", line 157, in __init__
>>     execfile_(filename, config)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sphinx/util/pycompat.py", line
>> 150, in execfile_
>>     exec_(code, _globals)
>>   File "conf.py", line 157, in <module>
>>     'The Sphinx \'sphinx_rtd_theme\' HTML theme was not found.\n'
>> sphinx.errors.ConfigError: The Sphinx 'sphinx_rtd_theme' HTML theme
>> was not found.
>>

> ../docs/meson.build:30: WARNING: /usr/bin/sphinx-build-3:
> Configuration error:
> The Sphinx 'sphinx_rtd_theme' HTML theme was not found.
>
> ../docs/meson.build:32:6: ERROR: Problem encountered: Install a Python 3 version of python-sphinx and the readthedoc theme

So why do you get that message, and I see the above? Older
sphinx-build ?

It's strange, it's like ModuleNotFoundError was not catched by the "except ImportError".

What's the version of python?

Also, if this isn't fatal (the build does continue), meson
shouldn't print ERROR here, ideally.

Something is again unexpected here.

If you have the meson error, it should stop the build there with an error. And the error is only raised when docs is enabled.

For me it doesn't continue:
$ make
../docs/meson.build:32:6: ERROR: Problem encountered: Install a Python 3 version of python-sphinx and the readthedoc theme

A full log can be found at /home/elmarco/src/qemu/build/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
ninja: error: rebuilding 'build.ninja': subcommand failed
FAILED: build.ninja
/usr/bin/meson --internal regenerate /home/elmarco/src/qemu /home/elmarco/src/qemu/build --backend ninja
make: *** [Makefile:152: run-ninja] Error 1

>> Program python3 found: YES (/usr/bin/python3)
>>

>> In particular I see that on all the BSD VMs. If we're going to
>> require rtd that means we need to ensure it's present on all
>> the VM configs, docker configs, everything the CI uses, etc.
>> You should also flag up new build-deps in the pullreq cover
>> letter.
>

> I updated all docker configs. We don't have sphinx in the BSD VMs apparently, am I wrong?

We must do, because trying to build this merge in the VMs produces
errors from sphinx-build...

I am trying to reproduce.. I tried with  vm-build-openbsd, but it reaches console read timeout error... Now trying with freebsd (looking for a mirror for iso, because 40kb/s atm for me)

--
Marc-André Lureau