qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/10] For 6.0 patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/10] For 6.0 patches
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:54:22 +0000

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 17:30, Marc-André Lureau
<marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 7:56 PM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 at 15:17, Marc-André Lureau
>> <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ../docs/meson.build:30: WARNING: /usr/bin/sphinx-build-3:
>> > Configuration error:
>> > The Sphinx 'sphinx_rtd_theme' HTML theme was not found.
>> >
>> > ../docs/meson.build:32:6: ERROR: Problem encountered: Install a Python 3
>> > version of python-sphinx and the readthedoc theme
>>

>> So why do you get that message, and I see the above? Older
>> sphinx-build ?
>

> It's strange, it's like ModuleNotFoundError was not catched by the "except
> ImportError".
>
> What's the version of python?

It's whatever's in the BSD VMs. I also saw the same error on the
aarch64 CI machine, which has python 3.8.5 and sphinx-build 1.8.5.
My guess is that it might be the sphinx-build version here. I vaguely
recall that Sphinx is kind of picky about exceptions within the conf
file but that there was a change in what it allowed at some point.
It's possible we just can't do much with the old versions.

I'm inclined to suggest we should postpone switching to the rtd theme
until after the 6.0 release -- there isn't a strong need to get it
in this release, is there ?

thanks
-- PMM