qemu-devel

Re: QOM address space handling

From: Eduardo Habkost
Subject: Re: QOM address space handling
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 10:03:33 -0500

CCing Paolo, the Memory API maintainer.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 11:14:39AM +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This email follows on from my investigation of intermittent Travis-CI
> failures in make check's device-introspect test when trying to add the patch
> at https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-10/msg06093.html to my
> last qemu-sparc pull request.
>
> The patch itself seems fairly harmless: moving the sun4u-iommu device as a
> QOM child of the sabre PCI host bridge device. So why was "make check"
> randomly segfaulting on Travis-CI?
>
> The hardest part was trying to reproduce the issue to debug it: eventually
> after a number of Travis-CI runs I discovered I could generate the same
> problem locally if I ran "make check" around 15-20 times in a row, and that
> gave me a backtrace that looked like this:
>
> 0x0000000000614b69 in address_space_init (as=0x16f684d8,
> root=0x16f68530, name=0x9a1db2 "iommu-as") at ../softmmu/memory.c:2780
> 2780        QTAILQ_INSERT_TAIL(&address_spaces, as, address_spaces_link);
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0000000000614b69 in address_space_init (as=0x16f684d8,
>  root=0x16f68530, name=0x9a1db2 "iommu-as") at
> ../softmmu/memory.c:2780
> #1  0x00000000005b8f6a in iommu_init (obj=0x16f681c0) at
> ../hw/sparc64/sun4u_iommu.c:301
> #2  0x000000000070a997 in object_init_with_type (obj=0x16f681c0,
>  ti=0x1629fac0) at ../qom/object.c:375
>
> With the debugger attached I was able to figure out what was happening: the
> sun4u-iommu device creates the iommu-as address space during instance init,
> but doesn't have a corresponding instance finalize to remove it which leaves
> a dangling pointer in the address_spaces QTAILQ.
>
> Normally this doesn't matter because IOMMUs are created once during machine
> init, but device-introspect-test instantiates sun4u-iommu (and with the
> patch sabre also adds it as a child object during instance init) which adds
> more dangling pointers to the address_spaces list. Every so often the
> dangling pointers end up pointing to memory that gets reused by another QOM
> object, eventually causing random segfaults during instance finalize and/or
> property iteration.
>
> There are 2 possible solutions here: 1) ensure QOM objects that add address
> spaces during instance init have a corresponding instance finalize function
> to remove them or 2) move the creation of address spaces from instance init
> to realize.
>
> Does anyone have any arguments for which solution is preferred?

I'd say (2) is preferred, as we don't expect object_new(T) to
have any side effects outside the object instance state.  Most
address_space_init() calls in the code today seem to be in
realize functions.

However, I wonder if we could make this simpler (and mistakes
less fatal) if we make AddressSpace a QOM child of the device.
Paolo, would it be too much overhead to make AddressSpace a QOM
object?

--
Eduardo