qemu-devel

Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:00:50 +0100

Thomas Schneider <74cmonty@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I already considered the host CPU power.
> However I have this
> <https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33924/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q9550-12m-cache-2-83-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html>
>
> CPU
> Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2,83 GHz
> and assumed this should be powerful enough for RPi emulation.

For each emulated instruction you can be running between 6-10 host
instructions on average. We have certainly improved the performance of
the emulation over time and take advantage of multiple threads but in
the end system emulation will always be fairly expensive.

> But maybe my assumption was too optimistic.

You can use perf to record your boot and analyse where QEMU is spending
it's time. Unless there is a major outlier though it's unlikely to be
easy to optimise.

--
Alex Bennée