qemu-devel

Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails

From: Paul Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 00:42:30 -0700

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 11:58 PM Thomas Schneider <74cmonty@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
> many thanks for sharing this info.
>
> Can you confirm that the emulated RPi with your command will use
> "internal QEMU" network, means the client cannot be accessed from any
> other device in LAN?
> If yes, what is required to setup a TAP connected to host's network bridge?
>
> Regards
> Thomas

That sets up User networking, so yes, generally you cannot access the
client from the outside network.

If you set up a bridge device on the host using TAP, then you can change
the "-netdev user,id=net0" in the command line to
"-netdev tap,helper=/usr/local/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper,id=net0"
(assuming your qemu was installed in /usr/local) and you should get a fully
functional network connection. I found that the bridge device must be named
"br0" or this will not work.

I found that setting up a bridge device is pretty finicky, though. You can
google for instructions on how to do it. I *think* these are the steps I
followed to make it work for me. This is on Ubuntu, other Linux
distributions work differently I believe. My ethernet device is 'eth0'
and my host ip address is '192.168.0.54', so you should change those
as needed for your environment.

sudo ip link add br0 type bridge
sudo ip tuntap add dev tap0 mode tap
sudo ip link set dev tap0 master br0
sudo ip link set dev eth0 master br0
sudo ip link set dev br0 up
sudo ip address delete 192.168.0.54/24 dev eth0
sudo ip address add 192.168.0.54/24 dev br0
sudo ip route add default via 192.168.0.1 dev br0

- Paul