qemu-devel

Re: [REPORT] [GSoC - TCG Continuous Benchmarking] [#2] Dissecting QEMU I

From: Ahmed Karaman
Subject: Re: [REPORT] [GSoC - TCG Continuous Benchmarking] [#2] Dissecting QEMU Into Three Main Parts
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 21:02:26 +0200

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Aleksandar Markovic
<aleksandar.qemu.devel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > As far as I know, this is how Ahmed test bed is setup:
> >
> > 1) Fresh installation on Ubuntu 18.04 on an Inter 64-bit host.
> > 2) Install QEMU build prerequisite packages.
> > 3) Install perf (this step is not necessary for Report 2, but it is
> > for Report 1).
> > 4) Install vallgrind.
> > 5) Install 16 gcc cross-compilers. (which, together with native
> > comipler, will sum up to the 17 possible QEMU targets)
> >

> The following commands install cross-compilers needed for creating
> table in the second part or Ahmed's Report 2:
>
> sudo apt-get install g++
> sudo apt-get install g++-aarch64-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-alpha-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-arm-linux-gnueabi
> sudo apt-get install g++-hppa-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-m68k-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-mips-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-mips64-linux-gnuabi64
> sudo apt-get install g++-mips64el-linux-gnuabi64
> sudo apt-get install g++-mipsel-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-powerpc-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-powerpc64-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-powerpc64le-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-riscv64-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-s390x-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-sh4-linux-gnu
> sudo apt-get install g++-sparc64-linux-gnu
>
> Ahmed, I think this should be in an Appendix section of Report 2.
>
> Sincerely,
> Aleksandar
>
> > That is all fine if Mr. Yongang is able to do the above, or if he
> > already have similar system.
> >
> > I am fairly convinced that the setup for any Debian-based Linux
> > distribution will be almost identical as described above
> >
> > However, let's say Mr.Yongang system is Suse-bases distribution (SUSE
> > Linux Enterprise, openSUSE Leap, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Gecko). He could
> > do steps 2), 3), 4) in a fairly similar manner. But, step 5) will be
> > difficult. I know that support for cross-compilers is relatively poor
> > for Suse-based distributions. I think Mr. Yongang could run experiment
> > from the second part of Report 2 only for 5 or 6 targets, rather than
> > 17 as you did.
> >
> > The bottom line for Report 2:
> >
> > I think there should be an "Appendix" note on installing
> > cross-compilers. And some general note on your test bed, as well as
> > some guideline for all people like Mr. Yongang who wish to repro the
> > results on their own systems.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Aleksandar
> >

> > 2)
> >

> > > Best Regards,
> > > Ahmed Karaman
Thanks Mr. Aleksandar for your input on this one.
This is indeed my setup for the testbed used for the two previous
reports and all the upcoming ones.
To help Mr. Yongang with his setup, and anybody else trying to set
this up, I plan to post a mini-report (Report 0) to lay down the
instructions for setting up a system similar to the one used in the
reports.

Best regards,
Ahmed Karaman