qemu-devel

Re: Integration of qemu-img

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Integration of qemu-img
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:03:21 +0100

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:53:48PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Hy again,
>
> okay so now we have an easy way out just in case.
> But I still want to build an DLL and/or a shared library for integration
> into the tool. I want the tool to be platform independent and I was
> already able to build qemu-img as cross build with mingw64. Does anybody
> have experience in building a qemu library or tried it already?

It has been discussed in the past, but general wasn't considered a
viable, because any apps using it would have to be strictly licensed
as GPLv2-only. This would prevent the library being used by anything
that includes GPLv3 code, or obviously from closed source apps. This
would seriously restrict how useful any library was.

I would also note that QEMU disk code is not robust against malicously
created disk images. It is possible to create images that inflict
a denial of service in terms of memory and CPU usage. Thus if an
application is handling disk images obtained from untrusted users,
it is desirable for qemu-img to be a separate process, such that
you can put strict resource limits on it as protection against DoS.

> The tool I want to integrate qemu in is published under GPL itself. And
> if I am able to build qemu as library I will share it with the community
> and everybody interested in having it.

Regards,
Daniel