qemu-devel

Re: Qemu API documentation

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Qemu API documentation
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:49:51 -0400

On 3/18/20 7:09 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 09:55, Priyamvad Acharya
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hello developer community,
>>
>> I am working on implementing a custom device in Qemu, so to implement it I
>> need documentation of functions which are used to emulate a hardware model
>> in Qemu.
>>
>> What are the references to get it ?
>
> QEMU has very little documentation of its internals;
> the usual practice is to figure things out by
> reading the source code. What we do have is in
> docs/devel. There are also often documentation comments
> for specific functions in the include files where
> those functions are declared, which form the API
> documentation for them.

^ Unfortunately true. One thing you can do is try to pick an existing
device that's close to yours -- some donor PCI, USB etc device and start
using that as a reference.

If you can share (broad) details of what device you are trying to
implement, we might be able to point you to relevant examples to use as
a reference.

--js