qemu-devel

Re: qom device lifecycle interaction with hotplug/hotunplug ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: qom device lifecycle interaction with hotplug/hotunplug ?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 12:45:09 +0000

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 12:26, Igor Mammedov <address@hidden> wrote:
> But from the my very limited understanding, on real hardware,
> once device is uplugged it's gone (finalized) from machine
> perspective, so it's unclear to my why someone would use
> realize->unrealize->realize hotplug scenario.

Well, on real hardware 'unplug' is different from 'unrealize'.
So I think for QEMU if we wanted to allow this sort of 'unplug
and replug the same device' we should do it by:

 instance_init -> realize -> plug -> unplug -> plug -> unplug ->
   unrealize -> finalize

So unrealize/finalize is when the device is actually destroyed,
and if you're going to replug the device you don't destroy it
on unplug.

thanks
-- PMM