qemu-devel

Re: qom device lifecycle interaction with hotplug/hotunplug ?

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: qom device lifecycle interaction with hotplug/hotunplug ?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 13:40:55 +0100

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 13:33:58 -0300
Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 04:00:06PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > Hi; this is a question which came up in Damien's reset series
> > which I don't know the answer to:
> >
> > What is the interaction of the QOM device lifecycle (instance_init/realize/
> > unrealize/instance_finalize) with hotplug and hot-unplug ? I couldn't
> > find any documentation of this but maybe I was looking in the wrong
> > place...
> >
> > Looking at device_set_realized() it seems like we treat "realize"
> > as meaning "and also do the hot-plug if this is a device we're
> > trying to hotplug". On the other hand hot-unplug is I think the
> > other way around: when we get a hot-unplug event we assume that
> > it should also imply an "unrealize" (but just unrealizing doesn't
> > auto-hot-unplug) ?
>
> Your description seems accurate, and I agree it is confusing.
>
> It would be more consistent if realized=true didn't plug the
> device automatically, and qdev_device_add() asked the hotplug
> handler to plug the device instead.
agreed, it's confusing. But that would not allow to
  o = object_new()
  set props
  o.realize()
reuse the same plug handlers.

we potentially can convert it to device_add input arguments
and then call qdev_device_add() instead, which would then
handle plug handlers, not sure it's doable though.
Other than that I don't have any ideas how to make it less confusing.