qemu-devel

Re: QEMU HTML documentation now on qemu.org

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: QEMU HTML documentation now on qemu.org
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 09:41:30 +0100

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 04:01:42PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 04:44:34PM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> > > What's the reason for putting on wiki.qemu.org URL ? It feels like
> > > having it under www.qemu.org would be a more natural home, especially
> > > if we can then make it pick up the jekyll theme around the pages.
> > >
> > > Ideally we should publish the docs under versioned URL when we
> > > make a release. eg  /docs/latest/....  for current GIT master
> > > which I presume the above is tracking, and then a /docs/$VERSION/...
> > > for each major release we cut.
> > >
> > > That way users can get an accurate view of features in the QEMU
> > > they are actually using.
> >
> > Versioned release docs should be generated during the release process.
> > I have CCed Mike Roth.  That way the docs are available as soon as the
> > release drops.  This container image only runs once a day and would
> > leave a window when users cannot access the docs yet.
> >
> > Moving from wiki.qemu.org should be possible.  How does the jekyll
> > theme you mentioned work?
>
> IIUC, when there's a push to the qemu-web.git repo, some git hook (?)
> runs on the server which invokes jekyll to build the content, and
> then publish it to the webroot.
>
> To integrate these docs into that we need something along the lines
> of:
>
>   1. Generate the HTML files as you do now
>   2. Copy them into the qemu-web.git in a /docs/ subdir
>   3. Prepend a magic header to make jeykll process the file
>
>      ---
>      ---
>
>   4. Trigger the jekyll builder to refresh the generated docs
>   5. Publish the docs to the webroot
>
> You can see what I did here  as an example where I simply committed
> the generated docs to qemu-web.git:
>
>   https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg578110.html
>
> If we're not storing the generated docs in git, then when
> pushing to qemu-web.git we need to ensure we preserve the
> extra /docs dir content in some manner.

For qemu.git/master the built docs might change every day.  Committing
them to qemu-web.git seems like overkill.  I'll send a documentation.md
patch for qemu-web.git instead that simply links to
wiki.qemu.org/docs/.

For release docs the process you described sounds good.  Peter Maydell
or Mike Roth may be interested in integrating it into the release
scripts.

Stefan