qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] docs: vhost-user: add in-band kick/call messages

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] docs: vhost-user: add in-band kick/call messages
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 17:34:57 +0200

On Tue, 2019-09-10 at 11:33 -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 05:14:36PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > Is any of you familiar with the process of getting a virtio device ID
> > assigned, and if so, do you think it'd be feasible? Without that, it'd
> > probably be difficult to upstream the patch to support this protocol to
> > user-mode Linux.
>
> Sure, subscribe then send a patch to address@hidden

Ok, great.

> We do expect people to eventually get around to documenting the device
> and upstreaming it though. If there's no plan to do it at all, you might
> still be able to reuse the virtio code, in that case let's talk.

Right, no, I do want to and am working on the code now, but it's a bit
of a chicken & egg - without an ID I can't really send any code upstream
:-)

I can accompany the request for a new ID with working patches.

What kind of documentation beyond the header file should be added, and
where?

johannes