qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libvhost-user: undefined reference to MADV_NOHUGEPAGE

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libvhost-user: undefined reference to MADV_NOHUGEPAGE
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 20:01:17 -0700

On 8/27/19 6:42 PM, Sandra Loosemore wrote:
> Sorry if that was not clear.  The target is aarch64-none-elf with the provided
> semihosting facilities in QEMU.  The host is x86_64-linux-gnu. We deliberately
> link against a pretty old glibc sysroot (looks like version 2.11.1), but we
> did
> that for last year's 3.0 release as well, and haven't made any other changes
> in
> the configure options etc that we use to build QEMU for this target.

Still not clear.

The combination "glibc" and "qemu semihosting" doesn't make sense.  The triplet
"aarch64-none-elf" is a gcc thing and has no referent in qemu.

Are you building qemu-system-aarch64 for x86_64-linux, using an old x86_64
sysroot?

In any case, glibc 2.11.1 is definitely out of support.  Even CentOS 6 used
2.12 and we don't support that anymore either.  Of the current
long-term-support distros, I believe the oldest version of glibc is CentOS 7
with 2.17.

As recently mentioned in

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-08/msg04514.html

we may accept a small patch with a large comment, but there are no guarantees
how long we will keep such workarounds.

I encourage you to re-examine why you're carrying around a 10 year old glibc.

r~