qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 07/15] audio: audiodev= parameters no longer opti

From: Maxim Levitsky
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 07/15] audio: audiodev= parameters no longer optional when -audiodev present
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 12:44:02 +0300

On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:41 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> From: Kővágó, Zoltán <address@hidden>
>
> This means you should probably stop using -soundhw (as it doesn't allow
> you to specify any options) and add the device manually with -device.
> The exception is pcspk, it's currently not possible to manually add it.
> To use it with audiodev, use something like this:
>
>     -audiodev id=foo,... -global isa-pcspk.audiodev=foo -soundhw pcspk

Hi!

There is one corner case this breaks.
In qemu 4.1.0, there is no way to specify audiodev for a sound device,
specifying it
fails with error.
So some of my machines have audiodev (which is miles better that using old env
variables)
but also have sound devices without audiodev reference since this wasn't
supported.

In what will be qemu 4.2, you must specify it, thus this kind of breaks
backward compatibility.
Maybe we can have audiodev reference optional for a version or two?

This is just a minor itch, as otherwise the sound improvements are really good.
The days
of installing that old realtek driver are finally gone :-)

Another thing I noted, that there is no way for pulseaudio audiodev to specify
the 'client name',
it always shows up in pavucontrl as the socket path to the server.
Thus if I added two PA audiodevs, I can't really distinguish between them.
The in|out.name= seems to specify the pulseaudio source/sink to connect to,
which is not the same.

Best regards,
        Maxim Levitsky