qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 07/15] audio: audiodev= parameters no longer opti

From: Zoltán Kővágó
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 07/15] audio: audiodev= parameters no longer optional when -audiodev present
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 20:05:02 +0200

On 2019-08-25 11:44, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 10:41 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> From: Kővágó, Zoltán <address@hidden>
>>
>> This means you should probably stop using -soundhw (as it doesn't allow
>> you to specify any options) and add the device manually with -device.
>> The exception is pcspk, it's currently not possible to manually add it.
>> To use it with audiodev, use something like this:
>>
>>     -audiodev id=foo,... -global isa-pcspk.audiodev=foo -soundhw pcspk
>
> Hi!

Hi,

> There is one corner case this breaks.
> In qemu 4.1.0, there is no way to specify audiodev for a sound device,
> specifying it
> fails with error.
> So some of my machines have audiodev (which is miles better that using old
> env variables)
> but also have sound devices without audiodev reference since this wasn't
> supported.
>

> In what will be qemu 4.2, you must specify it, thus this kind of breaks
> backward compatibility.
> Maybe we can have audiodev reference optional for a version or two?
>
> This is just a minor itch, as otherwise the sound improvements are really
> good. The days
> of installing that old realtek driver are finally gone :-)

Hmm, this is what happens when you split a patch series.  We could
either revert this patch, or alternatively turn the error messages into
warnings about using deprecated behavior.

> Another thing I noted, that there is no way for pulseaudio audiodev to
> specify the 'client name',
> it always shows up in pavucontrl as the socket path to the server.
> Thus if I added two PA audiodevs, I can't really distinguish between them.
> The in|out.name= seems to specify the pulseaudio source/sink to connect to,
> which is not the same.

We currently supply the constant "qemu" as a name to pa_stream_new.
While it's still not ideal, shouldn't this end up as a client name in
pulseaudio instead of a socket path?

Regards,
Zoltan