qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Maintainers, please tell us how to boot your machines!

From: Michael Walle
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Maintainers, please tell us how to boot your machines!
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 10:11:39 +0100

[resend because my mobile client messed up the message and gmail rejected it]

Am 2019-03-18 09:15, schrieb Markus Armbruster:
Michael Walle <address@hidden> writes:

Am 2019-03-12 18:36, schrieb Markus Armbruster:
    = hw/lm32/lm32_boards.c =
    Michael Walle <address@hidden> (maintainer:LM32)

    = hw/lm32/milkymist.c =
    Michael Walle <address@hidden> (maintainer:milkymist)

Hi folks,

I guess it is time to pull the plug. Mainly, because I have no time
for this anymore. I've always worked on this on my spare time and life
changed. And secondly, I guess RISC-V is taking over ;) It has a far
better ecosystem. Also, to my knowledge the only (public) user of LM32
is milkymist and this project is dead for years now..

So time to say goodbye. It was fun and I've learned a lot -
technically and also how a huge open source project works. Thank you
everyone for that :)

Thank *you* for your contribution!

Basically everything still works and there are even TCG test cases
which covers all instructions the processor has. But I doubt it makes
any more sense to keep that architecture. If nobody wants to take over
(I guess that is the case), I'll post my last and final commit to
remove the lm32 architecture shortly..

We normally deprecate first, and remove only after a grace period,
commonly two releases. If we deprecate right away (in 4.0), we'd remove
in 4.2, which I'd expect in December.  Would that work for you?

Sure, I reached out to some folks who still use lm32. One response is still pending. Is it possible to remove the depreciation again if someone steps in?

-michael