qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] State of QEMU CI as we enter 4.0

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] State of QEMU CI as we enter 4.0
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:04:08 +0000

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 03:57:06PM +0000, Alex Bennée wrote:
> Docker Images
> =============
>
> The addition of docker has unlocked the ability to build a lot more
> tests as well as compile testing on a much wider range of distros. I
> think there are two outstanding areas that need improvement
>
> Daniel has been looking at building and hosting the images somewhere.
> This would be useful as it would stop us slamming the distros
> repositories constantly rebuilding the same images and also help reduce
> the time to test.

My intent was/still is to make use of quay.io for hosting prebuilt
images.

As well as avoiding repeated builds for developers it means that
developers can be gauranteed to actually be testing with the same
content that the automated CI did. Currently everyone using the
docker images potentially has slightly different environment as
it depends on what packages were in the repos when they built
the image locally. This is very bad for reproducability.

Libvirt uses quay.io for hosting images already and I've been
looking at creating a script to automate usage of it via their
REST API. Once done the same script should be usable by QEMU
too.

The idea would be that we still have docker files in the
tests/docker/dockerfiles directory, but they would only be used
for an automated job which triggers builds on quay.io, or for the
few people who need to make changes to the dockerfiles. The current
make rules used by developers / CI systems for executing test builds
would be changed to simply pull the pre-built image off quay.io
instead of running a docker build again.

> The other area that needs some work is better supporting non-x86 hosts.
> While Docker's multi-arch story is much better (docker run debian:stable
> will DTRT on any main architecture) we get stumped by things like
> Debian's uneven support of cross compilers. For 4.1 I'd like to
> reorganise the dockerfiles subdirectory into multiarch and arch specific
> directories so we approach this is a less ad-hoc way. It would also be
> nice to have the ability to gracefully fallback to linux-user powered
> images where the host architecture doesn't have what we need.

Regards,
Daniel