qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:09:52 +0000

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 12:56, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> In any case, this wouldn't change; as you suggest below, configure could
> remain as a front-end (well, in-srcdir builds are not supported by
> Meson, so "../configure && ninja" perhaps).

As an aside, it might be a nice idea to drop the in-srcdir
build altogether for QEMU anyway -- it's not really a very
good idea and it means our build system has to cope with two
different ways of working to no particularly useful end.

> > I suspect needing Python 3.5 means it will take a while before all our
> > build hosts will have it.
>
> Which ones don't?  (This is the information I might be missing and why I
> have started the thread). RHEL7 has it in software collections, OS X in
> Homebrew.   RHEL6 is not a supported host anymore.

Of the various hosts I do builds on:
 * OSX is 2.7 only
 * the ppc64 box in the gcc compile farm is 2.7 and 3.4
   ("Centos 7.5.1804")
 * the aarch64 box in the gcc compile farm is 2.7 and 3.4
   ("Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS", aka trusty)

I haven't checked the BSD VM images.

thanks
-- PMM