qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 10:33:34 +0000

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 07:12:33PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> lately I have been thinking of converting the QEMU build system to
> Meson.  Meson is a relatively new build system that can replace
> Autotools or hand-written Makefiles such as QEMU; as a die-hard
> Autotools fan, I must say that Meson is by far better than anything else
> that has ever tried to replace Autotools, and actually has the potential
> to do so.

Meson is gaining in popularity and I recently got some experience with
it.  It doesn't feel much worse or better than what QEMU or Linux have
for basic tasks.  For advanced tasks, I can't say.

One frustration is that any time the meson package is upgraded (when
your distro pushes an update) it forces a rebuild from scratch :(.

I think for 95% of people Meson vs Make will make little difference (the
syntax is easy enough) and 5% of people might be able to do more
advanced things cleanly with Meson.  Sounds good to me.

Stefan