qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Pipe key broken on US keyboards

From: Christian Ehrhardt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Pipe key broken on US keyboards
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 22:04:04 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 9:51 PM Phillip Susi <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 8/20/2018 11:07 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > What exactly would you need in Ubuntu Phillp?
>
> It *looks* like this is fixed in 2.12, but Ubuntu has 2.11.
>
> > Latest qemu would atm be on 2.12 with the git available here [1].
> > Unfortunately mostly nobody cares about the git branches so I forgot to
> > push this one - shame on me :-/, it is ready now thou.
>
> What did you forget to push?  Because the debian git repo already seemd
> to have 2.12 last week.

I forgot to push the git branch for 2.12 when I uploaded the package itself
on 2018-07-20

Ubuntu cosmic (18.10) has qemu 2.12 as of ~4 weeks ago as well.
Once Cosmic is released there will be a 2.12 via the Ubuntu Cloud Archive
[1] available into Bionic as well.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OpenStack/CloudArchive

> > I couldn't follow all of the thread, do you need something else than qemu
> > code to be updated, if so which package would that be?
>
> Nope; it's just qemu 2.11 seems to have had this bug.  It seems there
> has been massive refactoring of the keyboard code since then so likely
> this bug will forever remain in 18.04 unless someone wants to go through
> the 2.11 code and figure out how to surgically fix it.  At this point I
> think the path of least resistance for me is to get the newer version in
> the debian git repo to build and install that.

Yeah unless one does volunteer to identify the single change or it becomes
a problem for more of the community it is unlikely to be changed in the
2.11 in Ubuntu Bionic.

> What I can't figure out is how to get the pristine-tar for
> dpkg-buildpackage.  The git repo doesn't contain the pristine-tar branch
> that was required for pristine-tar to check out the original tar.

I thought the salsa repo should have the pristine-tar branch which is valid
for Debian and Ubuntu.
But you are right it doesn't, any Ubuntu package in main will have a repo
per package following this scheme
  git://git.launchpad.net/~usd-import-team/ubuntu/+source/qemu
including pristine-tar branches for Debian as well as Ubuntu.

Worst case run a "pull-lp-source" and you'll get all you need (but without
git history)

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server