qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Pipe key broken on US keyboards

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Pipe key broken on US keyboards
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 14:12:26 +0100

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 09:10:54AM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 8/17/2018 8:58 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > Actually for QEMU there is no default localized keymap. This is desirable
> > because it allows VNC to activate its raw scancode extension which is more
> > reliable than passing translated X11 key symbols.
> >
> > I guess there's a chance that Xen might secretly pass a '-k' arg anyway,
> > but hopefully it doesn't...
>
> It also happens when I just run qemu.  How can I check to see if it is
> using raw scancodes or keycodes?

It depends on what the VNC client asks for too. With no '-k' arg, if the
VNC client asks for raw scancodes it'll get that, otherwise QEMU will
fallback to en-US.    GTK-VNC based clients (remote-viewer, virt-viewer,
vinagre, virt-manager, GNOME boxes) use the raw scancodes. Most other
clients do not.

Regards,
Daniel