qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] nbd: Possible regression in 2.9 RCs

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] nbd: Possible regression in 2.9 RCs
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 11:03:47 +0200

Am 06.04.2017 um 10:48 hat Kevin Wolf geschrieben:
> Am 05.04.2017 um 23:13 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:
> > On 05/04/2017 13:01, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > > Am 04.04.2017 um 17:09 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:

> > > Ah, right, I keep forgetting that this started appearing with the op
> > > blocker series because the failure mode is completely different, so it
> > > seems to have been a latent bug somewhere else that was uncovered by it.
> > >
> > > If we're sure that the change of the order in bdrv_append() is what
> > > caused the bug to appear, we can just undo that for 2.9, at the cost of
> > > a messed up graph in the error case when bdrv_set_backing_hd() fails
> > > (because we have no way to undo bdrv_replace_node()).
> >
> > I don't know if that is enough to fix all of the issues, but the bug is
> > easy to reproduce.
> >
> > The issue is the lack of understanding of what node movement does to
> > quiesce_counter.  The invariant is that children cannot have a lower
> > quiesce_counter than parents, I think (paths in the graph can only join
> > in the children direction, right?).
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this isn't true at all. Drains
> are propagated to the parents, so that this specific node doesn't
> receive new requests, but not to the children. The assumption is that
> children don't do anything anyway without requests from their parents,
> so they are effectively quiesced even with quiesce_counter == 0.
>
> So if anything, the invariant should be the exact opposite: Parents
> cannot have a lower quiesce_counter than their children.
>
> I think the exact thing that the quiesce_counter of a node is expected
> to be is the number of paths from itself to an explicitly drained node
> in the directed block driver graph (counting one path if it is
> explicitly drained itself). A path counts multiple times if a node is
> explicitly drained multiple times.
>
> > Is it checked, and are there violations already?  Maybe we need a
> > get_quiesce_counter method in BdrvChildRole, to cover BlockBackend's
> > quiesce_counter?  Then we can use that information to adjust the
> > quiesce_counter when nodes move in the graph.
>
> We would need that if we had a downwards propagation and if a
> BlockBackend could be drained, but as it stands, I don't see what could
> be missing from bdrv_replace_child_noperm() (well, except that I think
> your patch is right to avoid calling drained_end/begin if both nodes
> were drained because new requests could sneak in this way in theory).

Actually, to get this part completely right, we also need to drain the
BlockBackend _before_ attaching the new BDS. Otherwise, if the old BDS
wasn't quiesced, but the new one is, the BdrvChildRole.drained_begin()
callback could send requests to the already drained new BDS.

Kevin