qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other o

From: Alon Levy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus bugs vs endian: how two bugs cancel each other out
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:20:11 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:29:01AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> >> I'm sure it can work for PPC given enough effort.  But I think the
> >> question becomes, why not invest that effort in moving qxl to the
> >> standard transport that the rest of our PV devices use.
> >
> > The drm drivers for the current model are needed anyway; so moving to
> > virtio is extra effort, not an alternative.
>
> This is just a point in time statement.  If we were serious about using
> virtio then we could quickly introduce a virtio transport and only
> target the DRM drivers at the virtio transport.
>
> > Note virtio doesn't support mapping framebuffers yet
>
> Yes.  I haven't seen a good proposal yet on how to handle this.  I think
> this is the main problem to solve.

The only thing I can add here is perhaps we could use scatter-gather
lists of pages instead of large framebuffer. When just passing commands
from guest->host->client this would mean guests constructs list -> host
reads from list to socket -> client unchanged. For rendering locally on
the host (client wants a screenshot, host wants a screenshot) this would
be a lot of work, basically having a non linear framebuffer version of
pixman. The upside is that you don't need to modify virtio and can use
guest ram.