qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GPLv3 troubles

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GPLv3 troubles
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:01:34 -0500

On 10/18/2011 10:31 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 10/18/2011 05:19 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 18 October 2011 14:03, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden> wrote:
Okay, let's get serious about it. I set up the following wiki page for
coordination:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Relicensing

This says:
use the following git command to get a list of authors:

git log --format:"%an<%ae>" -- file.c

which (apart from having a typo) only lists the people who were
the git commit authors. This isn't the same as everybody who might
have copyright on the change. There are certainly commits in the
omap support which have gone through several people (listed in
the Signed-off-by: lines) who all have copyright-authorship even
if they're not git-commit-authors.

Yes, also just to get it written somewhere: the list of copyright holders is
merely indicative.

Anyway, unfortunately this is, I think, a lost battle. For linux-user there's
too much Linux kernel code.

Ah, linux-user... hadn't thought about that.  Perhaps it's a lost cause.

Unless we split linux-user off into a separate repository. The only real code sharing is TCG. I can imagine a world where TCG lived in a separate repo along with qemu-system and linux-user. Both repos could pull in TCG as a submodule.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

 It would still be nice to not introduce more
GPLv2-only code, but don't hold your breath...

Paolo