qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GPLv3 troubles

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GPLv3 troubles
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 18:37:09 +0200

On 10/18/2011 06:01 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Unless we split linux-user off into a separate repository.  The only
real code sharing is TCG.   I can imagine a world where TCG lived in a
separate repo along with qemu-system and linux-user.  Both repos could
pull in TCG as a submodule.

Nah, the simplest thing to do is to really implement a binary format to store (or pipe) in_asm and out_asm traces. Then the trace dumper could use all the binutils code it wants to, and would be the only thing requiring a v3 license. in_asm/out_asm traces are so huge that this thing does have some actual benefit if somebody wants to write it.

That said, it is still nice if we can get people to agree on relicensing what they own, if only to help sharing code with other GPL programs. With the obvious exception of MIPS and linux-user, it does not seem impossible, though indeed hard, and it is also a good occasion to clean up files without a license.

Paolo