qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Propose the Fast Virtual Disk (FVD) image format

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Propose the Fast Virtual Disk (FVD) image format that outperforms QCOW2 by 249%
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 23:56:15 +0000

Chunqiang Tang wrote:
> O_DSYNC,
> > >
> > > You have the same issue with O_DIRECT when using a raw disk device
> > > too.  That is, O_DIRECT on a raw device does not guarantee integrity
> > > in the event of a host crash either, for mostly the same reasons.
> >
> > QEMU has semantics that use O_DIRECT safely; there is no issue here.
> > When a drive is added with cache=none, QEMU not only uses O_DIRECT but
> > also advertises an enabled write cache to the guest.
> >
> > The guest *must* flush the cache when it wants to ensure data is
> > stable.  In the event of a host crash, all, some, or none of the I/O
> > since the last flush may have made it to disk.  Each of these
> > possibilities is fair game since the guest may only depend on writes
> > being on disk if they completed and a successful flush was issued
> > afterwards.
>
> Thank both of you for the explanation, which is very helpful to me. With
> FVD's capability of eliminating the host file system and storing the image
> on a logical volume, then perhaps we can always use O_DSYNC, because there
> is little (or no?) LVM metadata that needs a flush on every write and
> hence O_DSYNC  does not add overhead? I am not certain on this, and need
> help for confirmation. If this is true, the guest does not need to flush
> the cache.

I think O_DSYNC does not work as you might expect on raw disk devices
and logical volumes.

That doesn't mean you don't need something for crash durability!
Instead, you need to issue the disk cache flushes in whatever way works.

It actually has a very *high* overhead.

The overhead isn't from metadata - it is from needing to flush the
disk cache after every write, which prevents the disk from reordering
writes.

If you don't issue the flushes, and the physical device has a volatile
write cache, then you cannot guarantee integrity in the event of a
host crash.

This can make a filesystem faster than a raw disk or logical volume in
some configurations, if the filesystem journals data writes to limit
the seeking needed to commit durably.

-- Jamie