qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus + "Desktop Effects" = Garbled screen

From: Reimar Döffinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cirrus + "Desktop Effects" = Garbled screen
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:54:47 +0200

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 04:28:19PM -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> The information is obviously there, but it looks like either the client
> is writing it in the wrong format or the emulator is interpreting it
> wrong.

Looks like it is writing 32 bit data into a 24 bit framebuffer.
I guess desktop effects uses software emulation OpenGL.
I'd suggest first checking if software OpenGL supports 24 bit
framebuffer, otherwise it can't work.
Next I'd check which format/bit depth the X server is trying to use.
Last you could try debugging the SDL stuff to see which format it
actually uses.
Last, you can try to hack sdl.c to force it to use a different
bit depth (note I don't know how well that works with cirrus or if
this actually works at all) by changing sdl_create_displaysurface,
probably line 183.
That's all I can think of (I'm new to qemu, so I probably lack some
details).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger