qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] user emulation status?

From: Martin Mohring
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] user emulation status?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:07:17 +0200

Hi,

is there a place to put testresults for svn snapshots?

Martin

Martin Mohring wrote:
Hi,

I am one of the developers of the openSUSE Buildservice (OBS), and also the maintainer of the developer/test packages for OBS. OBS is an automated system for compiling, testing and distributing packages, projects and even complete distribtions on basis of .rpm or .deb architectures (even windows/solaris/macos planned). Currently, we support build for all major linux distribtions Fedora, openSUSE, Debian, RHEL, SLES and Ubuntu.

Recently, I have added support for cross-build to OBS, our first target was Debin:Etch/arm and Maemo 4.1. I could now successfully setup a buildenvironment for Debian:Etch/arm and compile lots of the packages. The cross-build support we have implemented is based on: see these two articles here <http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/08/31/hackweek-day-2-cross-build-with-obs-part-1/> and here <http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/09/01/hackweek-day-3-cross-build-with-obs-part-2/>. In the meantime, we have now a completely automated patch, so we can use the normal OBS scheduler and so on (the only remaining issues were the fakeroot-tcp vs. fakeroot-sysv and the /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr issue).

To sum it up, our OBS can instantiate all linux distributions you can think of in a chroot (even on basis of the original prebuild binary .rpm or .deb), and can though be ideally be used for testing qemu in all situations you can think of. Since we do not want to use qemu system emulation for the obvious reasons, we would like qemu user mode to just work.

I would be happy to share with you your patches for qemu-arm user mode to get Debian/Maemo builds working.

I wrote already an e-mail on this here, but no reaction. Also, I am too busy atm with development.

Martin