qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] handling SIGWINCH with qemu -nographic

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] handling SIGWINCH with qemu -nographic
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:24:10 -0500

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 3:51:29 pm Stefan Weil wrote:
> Jeff Carr schrieb:
> > On 10/15/07 19:32, Paul Brook wrote:
> >> qemu emulates a real machine. Signals are an operating system
> >> concept, so your
> >> question makes no sense. Configure your guest OS exactly the same way
> >> you
> >> would a real machine with a serial console.
> >
> > OK. I thought there might be a way.
>
> I think your question is quite reasonable. Imagine a Linux host
> running X Windows and a terminal like xterm or kconsole.

This is why ssh was invented.  That passes through terminal information just
fine.  QEMU does have a virtual network...

> Then run a program like "top" or "less" in this terminal.
> When a user changes the size of the console window, top, less
> and other console applications get notified of this change by SIGWINCH.

You can also set the environment variables COLUMNS and LINES to the
appropriate values.  Most things will parse that and use it if the tty info
isn't available.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.