qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-arm -M akita/terrier - which roms work? (mo

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-arm -M akita/terrier - which roms work? (more patches... :)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 02:37:04 +0200

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 12:30:23AM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 03:46:37AM +0200, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> Hi,
> >
> > On 29/07/07, Juergen Lock <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > >  Anyway, boot now fails with:
> > >         qemu: fatal: pxa2xx_gpio_read: Bad offset 0x1c
> > > i.e. it is apparently expecting something there that is not yet
> >
> > Oh, it's Sharp's poor code :)  the GPSR (0x1c) and GPCR registers are
> > write-only. I think it's safe to assume that the real hardware returns
> > the last written value in these addresses when reading, but in the
> > documentation they are write-only.
>
> Yeah it was crashing in static int force_8bit_access_check_and_set
> in linux/drivers/pcmcia/cistpl.c, apparently while doing an
>       GPSR(GPIO54_nPCE_2) = GPSR(GPIO54_nPCE_2);
> Patched that (patch-pxa-gpsr, attached), and now the boot seems
> to be hanging somewhere in userland...

Ok I set a breakpoint on do_execve and found that it was repeatedly
calling `/bin/grep ^1 /var/lib/pcmcia/stab'.  On my zaurus that file
looks like:
        Socket 0: empty
        Socket 1: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
        1     ide       ide_cs 0        hda     3  0
and indeed in qemu it has the disk in socket 0.  Patched that
(see patch-spitz-hda, attached), and now (well I also added an
sd image since I got lots of
        pxa_sd_put_command: responce time out by jiffies (cmd=01)
) I at least get
        INIT: version 2.78 booting
        mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /hdd1 failed: Invalid argument
and when I hit ^c (btw, the left shift key does work, only the
right one doesnt) it continues with
        INIT: Entering runlevel: 4
        INIT: Switching to runlevel: 6
        INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
        umount: forced umount of /dev/ram1 failed!
        Can't find /dev in /etc/fstab
        umount: /proc: Device or resource busy
        Rebooting the system...
and the kernel's last words on the serial console are
        flushing ide devices:
        Restarting system.
        reboot the kernel (1)
        Reboot failed -- System halted

 Okay, time to sfdisk the hda image (it was empty :), boot with
`rw init=/bin/sh', mknod /dev/hda*, mounting /proc and /home and
then try sfdisk:
        # sfdisk /dev/hda
        modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-3
        /dev/hda: No such device or address

        sfdisk: cannot open /dev/hda read-write

 Hmm, some module not loaded?  looking around in /lib/modules/
I see no obvious candidate, anyone have an idea?

 Okay, back to the akita image...  booting that to runlevel 2 or 4 now
in fact gets me a login prompt on the serial console, and in runlevel 4
I even see the gui splash screen flashing, but the gui doesnt
start, and after a few iterations I get
        INIT: Id "ln" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
ln is (grep ln /etc/inittab):
        ln:345:respawn:survive -l 6 /sbin/launch

 Playing around I also found that both `more /etc/inittab' and `ps'
exit with `Illegal instruction', ouch!  Afer adding CONFIG_DEBUG_USER
to the kernel I get
        more (25): undefined instruction: pc=0002087c
        Code: ed9fa149 e59f0128 ee012190 ee400181 (ee100182)
and
        ps (26): undefined instruction: pc=0200d94c
        Code: e24b204c ebffce16 ed1bb113 ed1ba10c (ee230182)
(the one in brackets seems to be the insn in question), and
tracing the kernel's fpu emulator (starting with EmulateAll in
linux/arch/arm/nwfpe/fpa11.c) I find that both failure seem to be
caused by an fpa11->fType[x] being 0 == typeNone, i.e. it seems
an fpu emulator's register is uninitialized...  Anyone have an idea
what's up with that?  (oh, I didn't rebuild the akita kernel so this
was actually debugged with the terrier image.)

 Thanx,
        Juergen