qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:25:42 +0200

Joe Lee wrote:
Some of us appriciate the fact that qemu has no "GUI" per se. ;0)

Your right! the keyword is "some" but not all. I think if QEMU is to be adopted by the masses it will need to come up with a quality GUI-Frontend. However the CLI can always be in place for those who want and prefer to use it. Otherwise, I think most users will prefer to stay with VMware and especially that there VMware player AND VMware server edition is now FREE.

I appreciate the effort that some are making to develop a GUI for QEMU - There's a few project I see that trying to achieve this. But, I wish they all could come together and work together to develop a nice GUI. I would like to see a sub-project exist in the QEMU site so all can come and contribute to that effort.

IIRC Fabrice has (quite some time ago) stated that he'd like to see a Qemu GUI that is integrated into the app (ie. not an external application that only captures the Qemu window), and also that the GUI should be done in GTK (though I'm not sure about the exact wording, so I might be spreading false rumours here ;)

This would mean that the next steps for a GUI would be to "migrate" input event handling and graphics output from SDL to a GUI toolkit like GTK. Incidentally, that is more or less what the patches do which are floating around on the mailing list. I guess the reason why they were not integrated in CVS is that they are quite big and intrusive, and that Fabrice waits for some more feedback and testing of the patches.

So, in the end, testing is probably something that anyone can do who has enough spare time and wants to put that time into developing a GUI for Qemu :)

Regards,
Oliver