qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support Questions

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support Questions
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:39:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Joe Lee wrote:

> I came across a product called Iemulator and think it based on QEMU. If
> so, I wanted to know how possible is it to re-brand qemu to something
> similar to Iemulator.

It is based on QEmu. See http://www.iemulator.com/iemulator_faq.php, "Is
iEmulator based on the BOCHS emulator?". It is perfectly legal. The core
of QEmu is licensed under the LGPL, and accordingly, (at least
some) sources of iEmulator are freely downloadable.

> Also, I am quite new to QEMU and virtualization in general and wanted to
> know the difference between QEMU and product like OpenVZ.

OpenVZ is a virtualiser, i.e. it uses the hardware -- including the CPU --
of the host, and relies on the OS to handle the sharing parts. Therefore,
you can not run unmodified kernels (or Windows for that matter) using
OpenVZ.

QEmu is a system emulator, i.e. the hardware componentes are emulated. As
for the CPU, QEmu uses a technique called "translation" or Just-In-Time
compilation in order to execute the code. If the host CPU is of the same
type as the emulated CPU, you can use KQEmu or QVEmu to kind-of virtualise
the CPU instead.

> I suppose QEMU is more like VMware aimed at end users and OpenVZ would
> be more for Enterprise servers.

Correct. The principal application for QEmu is to run a different OS in
a window on your desktop. The principal application for OpenVZ or Zen is
to run many virtual computers (servers) on one host.

Hth,
Dscho