qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Simple, bootable benchmark floppy image

From: Leonardo E. Reiter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Simple, bootable benchmark floppy image
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:27:49 -0400

As an additional note, we realize this could have been probably been done with just the linux-user mode. However for us it was important to benchmark a full softmmu session, since that is what we are using for our products.

- Leo Reiter

Leonardo E. Reiter wrote:
Hello,

we just created a simple bootable 1.44MB floppy image that runs nbench (Linux version of the old BYTEmark CPU/FPU/memory benchmark) inside a QEMU session. The nice thing is that the image boots a Linux kernel and runs nbench automatically, then "powers off" with APM causing QEMU to exit. Also, it is designed to be run with -nographic since it pipes all output to the serial port. This gives us a convenient way to quickly run standardized benchmarks and capture the output on the host.

--
Leonardo E. Reiter
Vice President of Engineering

Win4Lin, Inc.
Virtual Computing from Desktop to Data Center
Main: +1 512 339 7979
Fax: +1 512 532 6501
http://www.win4lin.com