qemu-devel

Re: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 SP4 (was Re: APM bug)

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows 2000 SP4 (was Re: APM bug)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:23:23 -0400

Hetz Ben Hamo <address@hidden>

> I have tried to install win2k from various CD's I have here around and
> I stumbled on one really weird thing..
>
> Disk space issues. I have tried with 1GB, 2GB and 4GB virtual disks,
> and all of them seems to be quickly filled by the win2k installer and
> then the install fails..
>
> Do you also have the same problem there at win4lin? or is it only
> happening with QEMU's internal IDE drive emulation? (since I recall
> that win4lin replaced the IDE driver with their own's one)..

I just succesfully installed Win2K Pro on a 4G virtual
partition, using the parameter "-hdachs 8136,16,63"
which allowed me to successfully install where it hadn't
succeeded before. The only thing that was a little weird
was my math, and when it was finished I had an 8G
virtual partition.  I figure I probably should have used
"-hdachs 4068,16,63" to get 4g.I found this in the qemu-user
BBS, and I was happy not to have to restart the
installs, as I've had to do before.

One thing that was really interesting was running fdisk
against the partition for an install that failed (filled
disk). It said I had 16000 cylinders, 1 head and 600
sectors per cylinders.