qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] how to run qemu independent of X?

From: Magnus Damm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] how to run qemu independent of X?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:26:35 +0100

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 14:16, Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Magnus Damm wrote:
>
> > I do. All the time.
>
> Hmm..
>
> > You need a Linux kernel that is compiled with serial console
> > support. And to enable that you need to pass the parameter
> > "console=ttyS0,9600" to the kernel too.
>
> Hmm, I couldnt get serial console to work though. (not with Linux
> with solaris).

Just to clarify, I meant a guest Linux kernel above. And you are trying
to run solaris as a guest?

> Qemu seems to hang on me if started with -serial stdio or -nographics
> (which also uses stdio AIUI).

Hm. It takes some time before the Linux kernel starts outputting things
on the serial port. It has to decompress the kernel etc.

I have created a little Linux distribution designed to run within QEMU,
it is using the -nographic mode successfully. If it would be helpful to
you I would be happy to send a binary tarball via email (~3 MiB large
binary tarball, ~95 MiB tarball with sources).

Or if someone knows a good bittorrent tracker for free software then I
would be very happy to seed it.

> > You will not get any output from the BIOS or from the
> > bzImage-bootloader though, they seem to write directly to the VGA
> > hardware. And I am not sure if Ctrl-Alt-1/2/3 works correctly - I
> > do however get a monitor prompt displayed the first thing... wierd.
>
> Monitor as in a stdio '(qemu) ' monitor prompt, or ....?

(qemu)

> > I do no not think the -nographic option disables emulation of VGA
> > hardware, though.  An option for that might be useful for embedded
> > programmers.
>
> That would be very useful yes.

Good Luck!

/ magnus