qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core l

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core ls
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:14:52 +0100

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 05:47, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 20:26, J. Mayer wrote:
> > You're right, this is the right explanation.
> > I've already seen this problem, but didn't solve it, with a recent
> > Debian using glibc 2.3...
> > The glibc 2.3 signal context structure isn't the same that the one used
> > in glibc 2.2. This makes qemu think that the emulated program is doing
> > invalid access while it should detect some valid write access to code
> > pages.
> >
> > I'm surprised that you were able to compile qemu with this glibc. When I
> > tried to use glibc 2.3 on PPC, qemu failed to compile, because the
> > structure field names also changed. Are your headers fully synchronised
> > with your libc ?
>
> qemu was compiled on my yellowdog ppc box, which doesn't use the nptl
> glibc-2.3.3.  I think it's still glibc-2.3.1, without nptl.

May the changes has been made between glibc 2.3.1 and following versions
? Strange idea... I have to check this...

> > I don't believe it's a thread-scheme problem, because qemu don't use
> > threads. Or it may be some other glibc definitions or structure padding
> > or alignment which aren't the same than in the regular glibc...
>
> I guess I'll have to try downloading a non-nptl x86 glibc and try that.
> But it would be nice to figure out how to get the nptl glibc working
> with qemu (even in non-nptl mode, since nptl would depend on the kernel
> support).

Well, you may rebuild qemu as a static binary on your yellowdog
distribution. If it compiles without a problem, you'll win :-)
It seems really more simple than trying to make two glibc available on
your system...

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized