qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core l

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault with 0.50 and 0.51 and fedora core ls
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 04:26:23 +0100

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 03:52, Michael Torrie wrote:
> I'm still having many problems using qemu to run all but the most basic
> static-ish x86 executables on my yellowdog ppc box.  qemu just dies with
> a segmentation fault.  I can run xterm, xeyes, ddd, and adobe acrobat
> reader, all from my x86 fedora core box (copying over the appropriate
> libraries for glibc, x11, etc).  However, most other exes, even a simple
> exe like ls, fail with the segmentation fault.  Since no one else is
> reporting this problem on the list, I think that perhaps it is an
> interaction between qemu and the ntpl-threaded glibc 2.3.3 that fedora
> core ships with.

You're right, this is the right explanation.
I've already seen this problem, but didn't solve it, with a recent
Debian using glibc 2.3...
The glibc 2.3 signal context structure isn't the same that the one used
in glibc 2.2. This makes qemu think that the emulated program is doing
invalid access while it should detect some valid write access to code
pages.

I'm surprised that you were able to compile qemu with this glibc. When I
tried to use glibc 2.3 on PPC, qemu failed to compile, because the
structure field names also changed. Are your headers fully synchronised
with your libc ?
I don't believe it's a thread-scheme problem, because qemu don't use
threads. Or it may be some other glibc definitions or structure padding
or alignment which aren't the same than in the regular glibc...

Regards.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized