qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vga.c

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vga.c
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:20:27 +0200

Johan Rydberg wrote:
Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:

: Modified files:
: . : vga.c
I have not yet had the chanse of testing the VGA code,
so I wonder: how fast is it?  And does it look good? :)

It is currently fast enough to have a usable PC emulator. Many DOS games are usable. It should be faster than the bochs emulation but slightly slower than the dosemu one. This VGA emulation code is more accurate than either bochs or dosemu (all VGA modes, including non standard ones (i.e. the ones not supported by int $0x10) should work), but of course more testing is needed.

There are some optimisations pending (VGA memory accesses could be faster, but I wanted first to have a simple code). The S3 specific code the SVGA emulation is not finished. It will be mainly used to launch X11 or Windows in high resolution modes. I also have to modify the LGPL'ed vga bios to add S3 VESA support.

Fabrice.