Re: [PULL 0/5] Python patches

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/5] Python patches
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 10:50:31 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:46 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:
  Hi,

> - Split python/qemu/qmp out into its own repository and begin uploading it
> to PyPI, as a test. (Do not delete python/qemu/qmp yet at this phase.)

I think you can do that as two separate steps.

pip can install from vcs too, i.e. when splitted to a separate repo but
not yet uploaded to pypi you can simply drop something like ...

        git+https://gitlab.com/qemu/qemu-python.git@master

... into pip-requirements.txt.  That way you can easily test things
before actually uploading to pypi.

Indeed - a limitation here however is that pip will not install from this source unless explicitly asked to, so you couldn't use this package as a requirement for another one, for example -- but it works as a testing step. but that's the rough outline of where I am headed and what I think needs to be done to get there. It's just taking me a while to get everything put in order exactly the right way to be able to flip the switch. Hopefully soon, though.

I realized when re-reading my mails last night that I said I wouldn't be able to do it until "next release" but what I really meant was "until the next development window".

--js