Re: [PULL 0/5] Python patches

From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
Subject: Re: [PULL 0/5] Python patches
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:20:26 +0300

17.11.2021 20:56, John Snow wrote:

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 4:42 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com
<mailto:kraxel@redhat.com>> wrote:

       Hi,

     > https://gitlab.com/jsnow/qemu.git <https://gitlab.com/jsnow/qemu.git>
tags/python-pull-request

    What is the status of the plan to upload this to pypi eventually?

Thanks for asking!

The honest answer is "I'm not exactly sure", but there are a few things to work
out still. Let me use this as an opportunity to try and give you an honest answer.
We've got four packages right now: qmp, aqmp, machine and utils.

- I don't intend to *ever* upload utils, I created that one specifically as an in-tree
package for "low quality" code that we just need as glue.
- aqmp is brand new. It was moved as the default provider for the QMP protocol
in the tree (being used by machine.py) only two weeks ago. I am using this
current RC testing phase to find any problems with it.
- qmp is something I want to deprecate, I don't intend to upload it to PyPI. I
intend to rename aqmp -> qmp and have just the one qmp package. I can't do this
until next release, and only after we are confident and happy that aqmp is stable
enough.
- machine has a few problems with it. I am reluctant to upload it in its
current form. I am actively developing a new version of it that uses the new
Async QMP module. However, this might take a bit of time, I fear.

So, I think I have this timeline for myself:

- Fix bugs in AQMP package revealed during RC testing
- Introduce sync wrapper for AQMP that resembles the native AQMP interface more than it
resembles the "legacy QMP" interface.
- Remove all QEMU source tree uses of qemu.qmp and qemu.aqmp.legacy.
- Delete qemu.qmp and rename qemu.aqmp to qemu.qmp.
- Split python/qemu/qmp out into its own repository and begin uploading it to
PyPI, as a test. (Do not delete python/qemu/qmp yet at this phase.)
- Transition any users of the Python packages in the QEMU source tree to
installing the QMP dependency from PyPI instead of grabbing it from the tree.
- Delete python/qemu/qmp from the QEMU source tree at this moment; "re-fork" the package
if necessary to collect any commits since the "test split" procedure.

That all sounds great!

Some questions to work out:
- What tools should be uploaded with qemu.qmp? a version of qmp-shell is high on the list
for me. qom, qom-set, qom-get, qom-list, qom-tree, qom-fuse etc I am suspecting might be
better left behind in qemu.utils instead, though. I am not sure I want to support those
more broadly. They weren't designed for "external consumption".
- qemu-ga-client should be moved over into utils, or possibly even deleted --
it hasn't seen a lot of love and I doubt there are any users. I don't have the
bandwidth to refurbish it for no users. Maybe if there's a demand in the future

... This might be being overcautious, though. Perhaps I can upload a version of
"qemu.aqmp" even this week just as a demonstration of how it would work.

Why do we need wait for next release for renaming aqmp -> qmp? Or what next
release do you mean? I think you can rename it as soon as 6.3 development phase is
open.

I'm not sure that's a good idea to upload qemu.aqmp to public and than rename
it to qemu.qmp.. Maybe, you can upload it now as qemu.qmp? So, first, create a
separate repo with aqmp (already renamed to qmp), upload it to PyPI (as qmp) -
this all as a first step. And then gradually move Qemu to use this new repo
instead its own qmp/aqmp.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir