Re: [Qemu-arm] Unable to run QEMU with ubuntu ARM image on mac.

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] Unable to run QEMU with ubuntu ARM image on mac.
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 10:13:50 +0100

On 7 April 2016 at 07:47, dharmik thakkar <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> I am trying to run arm based kernel using qemu on mac. I have build the
> kernel image using linux 4.4.6 for arm architecture. I am using the below
> command but I don't see kernel booting. While building the kernel i used the
> defconfig for arm which was versatile_defconfig.
>
> Try 1:
> qemu-img create -f qcow2 linuxarm.qcow2 10G
> qemu-system-arm -hda linuxarm.qcow2 -kernel vmlinuz-4.4.6 -initrd
> initrd.img-4.4.6 -m 1024 -M versatilepb
>
> A black blank screen appears without displaying anything.
>
> Try 2:
>
> qemu-img create -f qcow2 linuxarm.qcow2 10G
> qemu-system-arm -hda linuxarm.qcow2 -kernel vmlinuz-4.4.6 -initrd
> initrd.img-4.4.6 -m 1024 -M versatilepb -cdrom 2015-04-06-ubuntu-trusty.zip
> -boot d

versatilepb can't support more than 256 MB of guest RAM -- trying
to specify more is going to cause problems.

> A black blank screen appears without displaying anything.

Check whether there's anything on the guest serial output (I think
you can get this via the View menu; or use -serial stdio to send
it to the terminal window).

Other than that, "nothing happens on guest boot" usually means
QEMU is emulating OK but the guest kernel has crashed or failed
to init, in much the same way that it can on real hardware.
Enable any earlyprintk/earlycon options, that sometimes lets the
kernel print out an error before stopping.

For Mac hosts, it's also worth checking that the same command
line/image/etc also fail on a Linux host -- occasionally the
Mac port has issues Linux doesn't, because it gets much less use,
development and testing. (I don't think that's the problem here,
but if you have a Linux box it's easy to rule out.)

thanks
-- PMM