pspp-users

Re: PSPP multiple linear regression with Y intercept equal zero

From: Ether
Subject: Re: PSPP multiple linear regression with Y intercept equal zero
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 17:08:20 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for replying John.

Actually, what I want is the /ORIGIN command (force model to go through origin; i.e. no const term).

I can't fake it by adding a dummy variable with all cases set to zero for three reasons:

1) PSPP does not support weighted multiple linear regression, so adding a single dummy variable to a dataset which already contains hundreds of data points would not force the model's Y intercept to be zero

2) Without weighting, it would be necessary to add hundreds (if not thousands) of dummy data points to force the model's Y intercept to be zero.   This would be unwieldy.

3) Adding hundreds (or thousands) of dummy data points would skew other statistical measures I am interested in.

The following free statistics programs all support zero Y-intercept (no const term) multiple linear regression models:

gretl

Octave

Tanagra

ASP

MicrOsiris

LibreOffice Calc

So why don't I just use one of them instead?  Well, I have and I do.  But I have several applications where I want to use PSPP; for example when working with students with prior exposure to SPSS.