pspp-users

Import .sav File Causing Warnings

From: Andy Choens
Subject: Import .sav File Causing Warnings
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:05:48 -0400

I've got two SPSS files that I'm willing to send to anyone who wants to see
them.
File #1 - Created with SPSS 11 on Windows.
File #2 - Created with SPSS 20 on Linux (Ubuntu).

File number 1 opens normally in PSPP. File two does not. File #2 does opens
and the data imports (integers at least import OK), but I get a bunch of
warnings. The same thing happens in R (down to the errors), wihch makes sense.
As I remember, PSPP and R both use the same underlying system to import/open
SPSS data files.

I get the following warnings when opening file #2:

PSPP warning: "/home/andy/dev/spss-import/test-spss20.sav" near offset 0x148:
File specifies unexpected value -1.79769e+308 as LOWEST.
PSPP warning: "/home/andy/dev/spss-import/test-spss20.sav" near offset 0x164:
Invalid variable display parameters for variable 0 (DUMB).  Default parameters
substituted.
PSPP warning: "/home/andy/dev/spss-import/test-spss20.sav" near offset 0x1c7:
Unrecognized record type 7, subtype 18.  Please send a copy of this file, and
the syntax which created it to address@hidden

The two files were made by hand and look like:

        dumb    dumber
        1.0             1.0
        2.0             2.0

I can send the files to anyone and everyone interested. I's like to figure this
thing out and fix the bug. I use PSPP & R in a corporate research environment
and can't afford for something to go wrong because of a change in SPSS' data
format.

--andy