pspp-dev

Re: GET DATA DELIMITED TEXT

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: GET DATA DELIMITED TEXT
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:04:56 +0200

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 03:33:48PM +0200, Frans Houweling wrote:
       I have had trouble reading MS Excel-generated csv files before
     discovering the /ESCAPE option. In particular an Excel file like
     this:

     uniqID|company       |score
              1 |Number one|76
              2|"The Best"     |91
              3|Peerless Ltd   |20

     will become a csv file like this:

     uniqID;company;score
     1;Number one;76
     2;"""The Best""";91
     3;Peerless Ltd;20

     which is read by GET DATA in SPSS (version 14, sorry) but in PSPP
     needs the /ESCAPE option.

Hint:  If you use Libreoffice or Gnumeric for your spreadsheets, PSPP
can read them without having to convert to CSV.

     So my question is: shouldn't the escaping behaviour be the
     default, and a /NOESCAPE option an extension?

ESCAPE is a PSPP only thing, so I suppose we could do that.  Ben what do you
think?

     Also please note that PSPPIRE generates /IMPORTCASES in the
     syntax instead of /IMPORTCASE and SPSS doesn't like that.

I pushed a change to fix this.  Thanks for reporting it.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3